If you’re a salad person, this bitter herbs salad is the perfect choice for you! Take a look at the recipe and try to make it, it’s so easy and you definitely won’t regret it!
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 small head radicchio
- 2 Belgian endives
- 1 ½ cups arugula or watercress, washed and dried
- 1 rib celery, preferably from the heart, sliced very thin
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint(optional)
- 1 small garlic clove
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Original recipe makes 6 Servings
Ready in 15 minutes
- Wash and dry the romaine lettuce leaves and break into medium pieces. Separate the radicchio leaves and cut into medium pieces. Rinse and dry the endives and slice crosswise about 3/4 inch thick. Toss together all of the greens, the celery and the scallions in a large salad bowl and sprinkle the herbs over the top.
- Skin the garlic clove, cut in half and remove green shoots. Place in a mortar and pestle with a generous pinch of salt and mash to a paste. Work in the lemon juice and then the olive oil. Taste and adjust salt. Transfer to a jar until ready to serve the salad.
- Just before serving, shake the dressing in the jar, pour over the salad and toss.
Advance preparation: The greens can be prepared, wrapped in a clean kitchen towel and then sealed in plastic bags and refrigerated, several hours ahead.
Most of the calories come from the dressing; you can use less to reduce them.