These polenta toasts are not only healthy, but they’re delicious too!
The best thing about these polenta toasts, besides being healthy and delicious, is that the polenta and the onions can be prepared a couple of days in advance!
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Original recipe makes 16 Servings
Ready in 3 hours
1. Bring 3 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Spoon the polenta into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Press a plastic wrap onto the surface of the polenta. Chill for 2 hours or until it’s firm.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl to coat. Add the garlic and sauté for 15 seconds. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, onion, and thyme sprig and sauté for 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes or until the onion is very tender, stirring frequently. Add the vinegar and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard the thyme sprig.
3. Invert the polenta onto a cutting board and cut it into 16 squares. Cut each square in half diagonally. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat the polenta triangles with cooking spray. Add the 16 triangles to a pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until they’re lightly browned. Repeat the procedure with the remaining triangles.
4. Divide the onion mixture, bell pepper, and feta evenly among the triangles. Garnish with thyme leaves. Enjoy!