Almost every doctor recommends it. And most people are taking it. But what if we’ve been using it wrong? I am talking about the Vitamin D supplements.
In fact, the other name for rat poison is Vitamin D. Believe it or not, the vitamin D is often used to kill rats. (Not the only chemical used to do that, of course, but a common one.) It’s completely tasteless so rats keep eating bait laced with vitamin D without ever realizing they’re getting hit with a huge huge huge overdose. This might sound bizarre because most of us think of vitamin D as an essential nutrient. And it is. But anything — even an essential nutrient — is potentially toxic if you eat, drink or inhale too much.
Vitamin D is an essential vitamin, and almost every cell in your body has a receptor for it but taking too much of it can lead to many serious health issues.
Vitamin D and calcium
One potential risk of excessively high dose vitamin D is toxicity causing hypercalcemia, or high levels of calcium in the blood. Indeed, one study demonstrated that nursing home residents taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D for six months showed an increased urinary calcium/creatinine ratio, suggesting that excess calcium was coming out in the urine — likely because there was too much in their bodies. It works to kill rats. One form of rodenticide is essentially a toxic dose of vitamin D — enough to cause the soft tissues to calcify and kill the animal.
I personally recommend getting your vitamin D from safe sun exposure (or a safe tanning bed). Did you know that the vitamin D created in your skin in response to sun exposure way more beneficial than supplemental vitamin D3?
The more beneficial D3 can only found in animal-based sources such as: