If you need a healthier alternative to croutons, this recipe for roasted chickpeas is so good that you’ll be popping a few in your mouth before topping your salad.
The best part about these roasted chickpeas is that they are much healthier than any kind of croutons. Just check out the ingredients:
Chickpeas are a filling plant-based protein that contain up to 75% insoluble fiber (what goes in will come out, in other words). They will keep you feeling satisfied and support healthy digestion.
Turmeric is a superfood spice that’s shown antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer properties in various studies. In fact, it may be one of the most studied spices, with over 1,000 research studies on it’s effects, and counting.
Cumin is a flavorful spice that contains iron and many potent antioxidants.
Paprika provides more than 20% of your daily Vitamin A needs per teaspoon.
Cayenne supports the metabolism and may aid in fat burn (like any sort of hot peppers).
With health benefits like these, you won’t want a salad without them!
Prep: 5 min / / Cook: 35 min / / Total: 40 min
- 1 1/2 cups of chickpeas (1 can)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne or chipotle powder (optional)
- pink salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix chickpeas, oil, and spices (you can add salt and black pepper to taste) until well coated.
- Lay chickpeas out flat on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, give the pan a shake to move everything around, then bake for another 10-15 minutes.
You can pre-make a large batch of these and use throughout the week. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Get the printable recipe here.