Doing laundry is by no means the most exciting part of anyone’s weekly schedule. Getting the whole ordeal over and done with as quickly as possible is most people’s priorities.
However, it is this lack of attention that we pay to this necessary chore that manufacturers rely on to push their cheap-to-make and toxic products.
So next time you go to throw your clothes in the machine try white vinegar (and also you can add baking soda during the wash cycle to soften the clothes), it might be the healthiest decision you’ve ever made.
Laundry detergents can often cause rashes and skin irritations. The University of Washington has conducted a study which discovered that numerous top-selling laundry products are loaded with harmful toxins.
One of the researchers, Anne Steinemann, claims that she had been surprised by the high levels of toxins in laundry detergents:
‘I was surprised by both the number and the potential toxicity of the chemicals that were found. Nearly 100 volatile organic compounds were emitted from these six products, and none were listed on any product label. Plus, five of the six products emitted one or more carcinogenic hazardous air pollutants, which are considered by the Environmental Protection Agency to have no safe exposure level.’
The alarming results have made numerous people search for a healthier alternative to these products, and the most effective alternative of them all turned out to be white vinegar.
Apparently, this natural product causes no adverse effects and contains no toxins, but has even a wider range of cleaning properties than commercial laundry detergents.
Here are the benefits of white vinegar when it comes to laundry cleaning:
– Due to its high acidity, white vinegar is perfect for deodorant and sweat stains, even on a cold wash. Just pour a few drops on the stains before washing.
– It has the same softening properties as fabric softeners you usually buy, so your clothes will come out of the washing machine smooth and soft, and you will cause no damage to the environment at the same time. All you need to do is to add half a cup to a regular sized load.
– The common cleaning of clothes in a washing machine causes a limescale buildup. Yet, you can successfully descale the washing machine by adding a cup of white vinegar, as it is highly acidic and will eliminate limescale without the dangerous toxins.
– You should add 6 tablespoons of white vinegar to cold water and allow your delicates and hand-wash-only clothes to soak for 1h. Afterward, just scrub a bit, and your clothes will be perfectly clean.
– The residue from commercial detergents stuck the pet hairs and general fuzz on the clothes. Yet, add half a cup of white vinegar for regular-sized load and you will no longer have these problems.
– White vinegar will also eliminate the issues with static shocks.
– The biggest reason for the skin irritations caused by laundry detergents is the residue left on your clothes, and white vinegar can eliminate it completely. If you are still using a laundry detergent, just add half a cup of white vinegar to get rid of the residue from your clean clothes.
– To remove even the most stubborn stains, including the ones from coffee, red wine, grease, etc., just combine half a cup of white vinegar with hot water, leave the solution on the stain overnight, and then wash the clothes as usually.
– A recent study conducted in Japan showed that you can prepare a potent antibacterial solution if you mix white vinegar and salt. Just mix two teaspoons of salt and half a cup of white vinegar. During the salt and white vinegar washing cycle, you can effectively destroy any bacterial residue found on the clothes.
– For all those who fear that natural detergents do not remove odors from the clothes, you should know that white vinegar effectively fights off even the strongest odors!